Protecting our natural environment is important to us, as part of our contribution to sustainability we do the following –
- We use biodegradable eco friendly cleaning materials from ourecohome.co.nz
- We purchase our soaps, shampoo, conditioner from NZ Forest and Bird, which raises funds and awareness for the NZ Forest, and Bird Society. We also use eco store products in the bathroom.
- To further protect the environment we recycle as much packaging, cardboard, paper, tins, plastic. We provide a bin for guests to use for this purpose.
- Rainwater is our main water supply so we are aware of our use. All our water is filtered.
- We encourage guests to reuse towels to reduce the impact of washing materials and water on the environment.
- We have energy star rated efficient appliances and hot water cylinder is wrapped to conserve heat.
- We compost fruit and vegetable waste. We grow some vegetables and are establishing a small orchard.
- In the last five years we have planted 3000 native trees to protect our stream.Landscaping was completed in June 2018 around our house including planting an additional 1600 native trees to encourage native birds. Behind our property is a QE National Trust protected property home to native birds and native bush with nikau palms and kohekohe trees.